It’s always beautiful when it is new. You always look around, stare, adore and maybe gaze in awe and reverence. Whatever it is – a new place, a new thing, a new dress, a new haircut.
It changes you. You actually feel something shift inside you to accommodate something more. Your heart, mind and thoughts expand. Your horizons broaden.
There are some who understand that rush and know that with newness comes tranquility.
Hehe. I can understand them. I can feel the same restlessness when I itch to discover and uncover.
I find that, when you open yourself to new experiences and things, you become a better version of you.
Heh…update no.10003394041 if you will.
Every day is a new day….enjoy it.
I know that V-day is a day where you can say a thank you to that special someone for being part of your lives, for staying with you through it all and most of all to make up for all the silly and stupid mistakes you’ve made. BUT! I am honestly someone who doesn’t care about Valentine’s Day. I’m not saying I go out celebrating single-dom and the doom of my friends in relationships on that day.
To me it’s just another day and happy because it happens to be on a Sunday so I can binge on absolutely awesome rom-coms on TV. Heh…beat that!
Now, i’m not having anything against Valentines and I don’t mind spending a romantic time out either, but all this hype for one day of the year?
Um…no…thanks. Especially when I read the newspaper article on stampedes happening in malls to buy chocolates for ALL your male co-workers. What?! Why would you do that? If he’s your other half, why can’t you gift something unique or at least hand-made chocolate (it’s not that difficult to make!)? And if they are just your co-workers and you like them in the friend space, then why would you give all of them chocolates? All of them? What if you work in a 1000+ employee company? Sheesh…
Now, back to the funny and real things that I happened to witness on V-day. Of course, most of these happen on social media.
- FB/Twitter/Whatsapp status asking for a date on Valentine’s – Reminds me of the meme I once saw that said “I know my true love is not waiting online”. Dude…ask her, if there is someone you like. If not, don’t give the entire world an option! This is not a job announcement! People are not going to say “Oh, let me volunteer for this position!”. Huh.
- Selfies/Pics of gifts received with a thank you note from your HUSBAND/WIFE – He’s your husband! He gave that gift to you! He won’t be spending V-day with anyone other than you! So, we know who you spent it with! And why do you have to post every little thing he gifted you? The key chain, the wrapping paper, the note on the wrapping paper, the pen with which he used to write the note! I kid you not, this actually happened. I’m not here to inventory your V-day gifts and compare them with mine. Nope.
- “Being single” pics/status – Huh…why do you feel threatened by the fact that you are single? So threatened that you have to post about the awesomeness of being alone. Dude…it is a fact that all single people want to be a couple and all couples (maybe not all) want to be single on V-day! You know…grass being greener on the other side and all.
- “Lonely single” pics/status – I know you haven’t found your soulmate/GF/BF on this day. But hey…no need to shed tears over that fact! It’s not like Feb 14 is the only day when you can auspiciously understand who your life partner is! You have the rest of your life! Hey man…there are other people tryin’ to enjoy here…Guess what man…You is good. You is awesome!
- Video montage of past lives…er…I mean past years – I directly facepalm. I did not know your better half had used that brand of diapers. No way! I think even I used the same! This is a collection of your family’s memories, of the best moments. Do you really have to show to this to the world? Can’t you keep it within the family? I mean, there’s a reason why they are called family albums! (just kidding)
Top of my mind, that’s all I got.
If you have faced any, don’t hesitate to let me know!
PS: Hope you guys had a great Valentine’s Day 🙂
No need of words, if you’ve ever been in a corporate/MBA environment, you’d know what I’m talking about!
For simplicity sake I will be mentioning all the people here as ‘He’s.
- The Type B Networker – He walks the walk, talks the talk but never does the work. He charms the pants off the boss/teacher and the big shots know his name. But…he never shows up for anything, never does anything, keeps watching YouTube and keeps talking to others on work time!
- The Type A Networker – Who knows who will be your next boss/employment opportunity! This would be the personal mantra of this kind of networker. He talks to every person like a prospect. He seems to be selling himself every single time. His do-good attitude grates on co-workers nerves because they know why he’s following the guest speakers/business heads of other companies/other big shots all the time!
- The Lazy Learner – the guy who never shows up to class and when he does, is like a rock star coming to class. He doesn’t have the pressing need to finish assignments, he doesn’t care about studies. When teachers admonish him, he’ll smile and grin, when tests come, he’ll borrow notes (forcefully), he doesn’t take bath, deadlines are just another day to him…Hah…how envious that he lives a life so carefree!
- The Invisible Wall – Ah…one of my favourites…this is that person whom you never knew existed. You know of his presence/existence only when the roll call/marklists come out or when he makes a sudden appearance out of thin air right in front of you! You get a shock when he speaks in a feeble voice, because you’ve never seen him, let alone speak! But half the time, such characters hide an incredible brain…
- The Loudspeaker – The one who laughs/talks/exclaims way too loudly that the whole class is essentially listening to a live broadcast of the latest happenings on campus! Move over, campus radio, we got a better and more reliable source without losing battery life.
- The Flirt Type I – This guy flirts with every single living being. The class dork, the passing gal, the canteen lady, the office admin etc etc. By seeing this creature boast his plumage, you will be amazed. You will think – Where does all that confidence come from?! But essentially he’s harmless. He’s just a serial flirt…
- The Flirt Type II – This guy…on the other hand…is not harmless. If he comes to you and starts waxing poetic, you should just say “Sorry, I can’t do it.”. He is here for something and until you either give in or keep saying no, he’ll keep flirting with you. Some people get exasperated and give him what he wants, some flutter their eyelashes and give it happily, some begrudgingly gives because they have no choice, and some just say “No way man!” and walk away. And whenever I see such a scene, I am in awe of that cool person who just said “NO”. Ohh….burn!
- The Class Topper – aha! No words needed. The one who does all the work on time, knows the answers to all the questions, reads newspaper every day, eats healthy, works hard, finishes before deadlines, gets straight As, can talk on any subject around the world, knows a lot of people, is a social butterfly, and may or may not be liked by all. Whew…! I’m tired just typing all this.
For now, I can remember only 8 types…I’m pretty sure I just missed some more.
If I can get comments/replies, then definitely I’ll publish the Part II!!!
Till then, Toodle-loooooooo